Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mixed media abstract painting, "Headlines" by Colorado Mixed Media Abstract Artist Carol Nelson

Mixed media abstract painting, "Headlines" by Carol Nelson








When you think about it, artists who paint in a realistic style, pretty much know when their painting is done.  They paint a still life or a landscape, and when they have achieved their best representation of that subject, they're done.

With abstracts, the point of being done is open to interpretation.
I'm reminded of a story about abstract expressionist Robert Rauschenberg.

He was house sitting for his friend and mentor, Marcel Duchamp, who was visiting in France.  Rauschenberg noticed a painting he had done hanging in Duchamp's home.  Since Rauschenberg was in his "black period", he PAINTED OVER the original painting with thick black paint.  Duchamp was not pleased with the redo of the painting.

Thus it is with paintings I have hanging in my home. I look at them critically all the time.  How could I make them better?  "Headlines" just came back from a gallery, where it did not sell.  This is what it looked like:






I actually like the first version, but I thought the MAUVE color might be the reason it had not found a home. I added tones of gold, sepia, and umber.

 30"x24" Mixed Media on Canvas/Available

 Click HERE for purchase info.

 View more of my work at http://carolnelsonfineart.com

 Study with Carol at Art Unraveled, August 5th in Arizona
 Learn More HERE



======================================

My new VIDEO is out…..

"New Approaches to Mixed Media Materials,"

If you want to see what all the hoopla is about, click this link:

www.craftsy.com/ext/CarolNelson_10658_D


You can watch the trailer, and if you're not completely satisfied, there is a money back guarantee.

 Learn about my special Canvas Minis HERE

 Sign up for my quarterly newsletter HERE

 View my WORKSHOP SCHEDULE  Here

 View my available BOOKS Here




No comments:

Post a Comment