Thursday, January 15, 2015

"She Saw the Light", Original Mixed Media Painting by Colorado Mixed Media Artist, Donna L. Martin

"She Saw the Light"




This is a little whimsical mixed media painting that came as a result of an online class.  Our "theme" was to create a "beacon of light".  I really struggled and felt unsure of myself in doing this project.  I pondered, I tried.  I picked her up, made her an "ugly teenager painting" and put her back down.  For days and days she was an ugly teenager painting - no kidding.  Then finally deciding to "work" on her, I went to find something in my stash of supplies to construct her dress.  The first thing I came across was an antique hymnal with a song titled "I've Seen the Light". That was it...this wasn't coincidence and I knew I had to start and finish her.  

She is constructed on a 1.5" deep cradle board.  Overall size is 12 X 12. She was done with paint, graphite pencil, stencils, paper, and of course, words from that old, antique hymnal.  Her sunbeams, as well as around her star, have gold iridescent paint - so it shines beautifully when the light hits it.  It is finished with a glassy, resin coat, so there is no need to frame it.  She is hard to give up, but she is available for purchase.

For questions, comments, or if she is yours, please feel free to email me at:


No comments:

Post a Comment