Wednesday, May 15, 2019

In the Silence, Original Mixed Media Painting by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

In the Silence


In the Silence began with a stark, white, canvas.  As I began thinking about this painting and what I wanted to "say" with it, I added vintage text and vintage musical notes.  I added glazes and layers of paint so that just a portion of the text shows through.  I added more layers of ink with stencils and then wiped it away.  I used inks to create the many layers and branches of the trees, as well as the moody atmosphere in this piece.

As I was creating, I thought about how we all start out as a "blank canvas".  We begin to add rich layers to our lives, with words, with music, with emotions.  Sometimes, there are things we can't say and feelings we can't express.  These words, feelings, emotions begin to tell our stories.  And sometimes, we cover up those layers, those feelings, those words, much like I covered up part of this canvas with paint.  We stay silent.  We have no words to express how we feel.  Even so, we are rooted and we grow.  Our branches seek the light through the darkness.  Through experiences in our lives, we branch out, we grow, we learn., We add layers of color, richness, and texture to our lives.  Sometimes, the messiness turns into unexpected beauty, much like this painting did.

This painting is the first in a new series I am working on.  This painting was created on an 18 X 24 gallery wrapped canvas.  It is sold, but I'm open to commissions.

Please send me an email if you have any questions or comments...I would love to hear from you!




No comments:

Post a Comment