Monday, May 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MIXED MEDIA TROPICAL FLOWER PAINTING ART QUILT BY COLLEEN SANCHEZ

BLUE MAHOE BLOOMS

AN ORIGINAL CONTEMPORARY FLORAL PAINTED ART QUILT
BY COLLEEN SANCHEZ

AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
19 x 22 Ready to Hang

BLOG LINK



I just finished my latest floral art quilt this week. It was inspired by a couple of sketches and watercolor studies I did a while ago. I wanted to focus on the blooms from this interesting tree from the Hibiscus family, so I just showed the leaves by color washes and stitching. I did the painting on high quality cotton using gesso,  acrylic paints and artist oil sticks. Then the work really began, hours of stitching to define the details of the flowers and outline leaf shapes in the background. I embellished the piece with glass beads ( see close up below ) and cotton embroidery threads. I also painted the fabric to bind the edges of this art quilt. This kind of art allows me to incorporate my love of textile and paintings. It takes more time to complete than some of my watercolors but I just love the whole experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment