Saturday, February 18, 2012

"HEADLINES" 12016, contemporary mixed media collage abstract © Carol Nelson Fine Art

Headlines
detail



I am excited about this piece.  I consider it a keystone painting, in that I have never successfully done anything quite like this before. It could signal a new direction I may want to pursue.

It does not fit into my current series of geologic abstracts or forest abstracts.  It is totally nonrepresentational. 

I would say it is a celebration of texture, somewhat muted color, and composition.  Creating a painting like this somewhat like a Japanese Zen garden, where every stone, every plant, is carefully placed to create a harmonious environment.

As I worked on this painting, it was a matter of placing the various patterns and texture elements, then building up layers until it looked harmonious, or Zen-like, to me. There were several points during which I had to step away and do something else, so that when I came back to the painting again, I saw it with fresh eyes.

As with all abstracts, I did not have a vision in my mind of the completed painting.  Instead, the painting evolved as it was being created.

Surprisingly, my husband did not say YUK when he saw it - he's not a fan of abstract.  He even came up with the title, which I kind of like because of the lettering and the complexity of the piece.

For more information about this painting, click here to go to my website.

2 comments: